Re: regression, deadlock in high frequency single-row UPDATE

From: Mark Kirkwood <mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: Andrew Sackville-West <awest(at)janrain(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Paulo Tanimoto <paulo(at)janrain(dot)com>
Subject: Re: regression, deadlock in high frequency single-row UPDATE
Date: 2014-12-10 03:07:30
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 10/12/14 06:28, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 9:58 PM, Mark Kirkwood

> Just mucking about I changed certain things in your schema setup
> (removed ON DELETE CASCADE, use CURRENT_TIMESTAMP instead of
> now()...lessen the use of DEFAULT)...however still seeing deadlocks
> in 9.4, so at least it is easy to reproduce!
>

> Can you speak to what benefits those changes might yield? Or point to
> relevant docs?

Not so much advantages - just seeing if I could still reproduce the
issue with a simpler test case i.e ensuring you were not doing anything
'odd' - and you are not :-)

The next step would be trying to figure out what commit introduced this
behaviour - but depesz has already beaten me to that (nice work)!

Cheers

Mark