Re: Problem pg_upgradecluster from 9.1 to 9.3

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Matthieu Lejeune <matthieu(dot)lejeune(at)exxoss(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem pg_upgradecluster from 9.1 to 9.3
Date: 2014-12-06 13:56:54
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 12/6/14 3:14 AM, Matthieu Lejeune wrote:
> Creating new cluster 9.3/main ...
> config /etc/postgresql/9.3/main
> data /var/lib/postgresql/9.3/main
> locale C
> port 5433
> Error: could not symlink configuration file
> Error during cluster dumping, removing new cluster
> pg_ctl: PID file "/var/lib/postgresql/9.1/main/postmaster.pid" does not
> exist
> Is server running?
> Error: could not reload old cluster, please do that manually
> root(at)p2tstl2mondbm:/var/lib/postgresql#

It's trying to symlink the configuration files into the data directory
before calling pg_upgrade. I think it complains that the symlinks are
already there, from a previous runs. Could could try manually removing
them from the data directory.

This was apparently fixed in postgresql-common version 155 (see
https://github.com/petere/postgresql-common/commit/323253ed95ec00faaf042217749e3f4c7e3617b3)
If you want to, you could also try to get an updated version from
apt.postgresql.org.