[Pljava-dev] pljava portable between postgres minor versions?

From: craig at 2ndquadrant(dot)com (Craig Ringer)
Subject: [Pljava-dev] pljava portable between postgres minor versions?
Date: 2014-12-02 02:54:08
Lists: pljava-dev

On 12/02/2014 10:37 AM, akshunj wrote:
> Hi, just curious if it's best practice to build pljava every time the version
> changes? For example, if I built against 9.1.8 and now 9.1.14 is out, should
> I build it from source against the new release or is it safe to reuse what I
> built against the previous version? Seems to work OK, but it crossed my
> mind.

It is unusual, if not completely unheard of, for PostgreSQL's ABI to
change within a minor release.

So long as you use the same compiler and compiler options for the new
PostgreSQL build there should be no issues using extensions - including
PL/Java - compiled against an older PostgreSQL from the same major series.