Re: no test programs in contrib

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: no test programs in contrib
Date: 2014-11-25 21:14:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11/24/14 10:46 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> I think that test_parser is arguably useful as a skeleton/example for
> user-written TS parsers, so I'd lean towards leaving it where it is,
> but the others could move to src/test/ IMO.

I think a useful dividing line would be, is it normally useful to
install? A skeleton is still useful if it is in a different place in
the source tree (arguably more useful). It's not useful if it's
installed as a *.so.

> Usually that's when there is (a) a lot of history and (b) concern about
> back-patching fixes. Neither of those arguments seem real strong for
> these modules, with the possible exception of test_parser.

Have we ever really tried to use the various git options that are meant
to help with that (in a recent git version)?

(If not, now we'd have a chance to try.)