Re: 12 Silver Bullets

From: "vincent" <vinny(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 12 Silver Bullets
Date: 2007-08-16 07:46:11
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

> On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, Simon Riggs wrote:
>
>>> 2. Robust transactional ACID behavior under all circumstances
>> Async commit changes that, since it relaxes the Durability aspect.
>
> And one can wreak havoc right now if you turn fsync off. Maybe the
> wording may need to be tweaked here. The disclaimer in the detailed
> document is "barring hardware failure or grossly improper configuration".
> If you expected ACID, but used Async commit, that certainly falls into the
> improper configuration category.

Does the reader really need to know so many details in a list like this?

PgSQL defaults to ACID, which is the point I'd like to make in a list like
this; the user does not have to do anything special to get ACID, unlike
some databases who shall rename nameless...

Sure a user can force non-acid behaviour, that's not what you want to put
forward when promoting PgSQL. It's the truth, but it's too much
information.