Re: Constraint Trigger's referenced_table

From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: General PostgreSQL List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Constraint Trigger's referenced_table
Date: 2007-12-22 22:00:08
Lists: pgsql-general

--- On Sat, 12/22/07, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> No, the purpose is to support foreign-key triggers. FK
> constraints are
> implemented via cooperating triggers on the two tables, and
> each trigger
> has to be able to look at the other table.

Sorry Tom, I guess I am still a bit confused about how all of this works and if there are any useful ways I can use this feature to enforce the slightly more complicated temporal foreign-key RI.

Does any documentation exist that I could spend some time reading that explains detail the cooperation between triggers on the two tables?

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.