Re: Log-shipping replication in one machine

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Log-shipping replication in one machine
Date: 2014-10-28 19:31:16
Lists: pgsql-general

On 10/26/2014 09:46 PM, nurul [via PostgreSQL] wrote:
> Thank you for your response. May i know what is the difference between
> log shipping and streaming replication actually? I'm sorry i am very new
> in postgreSQL and still confused with these two

For an overview see:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/warm-standby.html

Short version:

1) Both deal with WAL files.

2) Log shipping ships the entire file (16MB by default) at a time.

3) Streaming ships records within the WAL file, so it works incrementally.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com