Re: BUG #11807: Postgresql server crashed when running transaction tests

From: Federico Campoli <federico(at)brandwatch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #11807: Postgresql server crashed when running transaction tests
Date: 2014-10-28 15:40:21
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 28/10/14 15:30, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 10/28/2014 05:22 PM, bzhao(at)recognia(dot)com wrote:
>> The following bug has been logged on the website:
>>
>> Bug reference: 11807
>> Logged by: Bing Zhao
>> Email address: bzhao(at)recognia(dot)com
>> PostgreSQL version: 9.2.9
>> Operating system: CentOS 5.6
>>
>> Recently our database component testing failed, we traced our source code
>> which nothing changed. Dev reported it's working on their dev machine but
>> failed in test environment. The only difference is postgresql server
>> version, dev is running 9.2.8 and test is running 9.2.9.After I
>> downgraded
>> to 9.2.8 in test environment, the test suit works again. See logs and
>> database configuration under.
>
> Unfortunately there isn't any details in the logs that would help
> tracking this down. Can you get a core dump, and from that a backtrace
> using gdb?
>
> What does the test program do? If you can narrow the test case down to a
> small self-contained script and post that, that'd be great.

We had a similar problem.
The query causing the server crash involved a many nested nested loops
in the execution plan.

We downgraded to 9.2.8 which is fine.

I'm still investigating and I'll file a bug report asap.

Cheers
--
Federico Campoli
Brandwatch | Senior Database Administrator

New York | San Francisco | *Brighton* | Berlin | Stuttgart