Re: How to estimate size of a row and therefore how much progress this query has made

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to estimate size of a row and therefore how much progress this query has made
Date: 2003-02-02 05:33:42
Lists: pgsql-general

>> Okay, so 4+12+4+4 data bytes, plus header overhead --- is this 7.3 or
>> something older? Let's assume older --- 24+32+4 bytes per row, plus
>> the null bitmap and alignment padding; say 64 bytes per row.

> It's 7.3

In that case it should be 4 or so bytes less per row. How sure are you
about your estimated row count? You are way over what I figure the
table size ought to be.

> Do OIDs consume space too?

In 7.3, yes. (Before that, you paid for the space whether you wanted
'em or not.) You could shave another 4 bytes off if you created the
table without OIDs.