Re: PostgreSQL 9.3 abd CentOS 7 memory usage

From: Jan Lentfer <Jan(dot)Lentfer(at)web(dot)de>
To: Elías David <elias(dot)moreno(dot)tec(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 9.3 abd CentOS 7 memory usage
Date: 2014-10-13 18:45:14
Lists: pgsql-admin

Am 13.10.2014 um 20:12 schrieb Elías David:

>> What's the on-disk size of your databases and can you estimate the
actual working set? How long is this system up and being queried?

>> I have seen similar when upgrading from 8.4 to 9.3 on Solaris 10,
Postgres running in zones. I could not yet investigate further and
performance is perfect still.

> Ok, here it goes:
>
> ccs1cl --> 41 MB
> db_otrs_ub --> 14 MB
> elmap --> 207 MB
> elmap_int --> 182 MB
> invent_equi --> 532 MB
> invent_equi_fc --> 114 MB
> jasper --> 13 MB
> netasis --> 23 MB
> otrs --> 361 MB
> patint --> 615 MB
> seg_alt --> 75 MB
> seg_alt_par --> 75 MB
>
> The average of transactions are around 85 per second and several of
> the databases (jasper, patint, elmap...) are accessed everyday, 365
> days a year (it's part of an offering from the company that runs the
> services every single day of the year). Right now the system has been
> up for 17 days.

So, that sums up to 2,2GB of databases (is that the right unit? MB?) ...
so even IF all of the data was read and stored in buffers that would not
cause a significant amount of memory used data on a 128GB machine, When
you look at "top" output, what the value for "cached" (5th line on the
very right)?