Re: uncommon syntax in datatype.sgml

From: Liudmila Mantrova <l(dot)mantrova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: uncommon syntax in datatype.sgml
Date: 2018-07-17 13:50:22
Lists: pgsql-docs

> On 16.07.18 20:42, Liudmila Mantrova wrote:
>> I have noticed uncommon English syntax in datatype.sgml, with two full
>> sentences following a colon in the same paragraph.
> I don't understand what's wrong with that.

Hi Peter,

I have brought this up because the backpatch to REL9_6_STABLE and below
has lost the capital letter after the colon (commit 037768cf), so I
think this phrase is likely to confuse others in a similar way.

The current syntax in master is indeed acceptable, e.g. Chicago Manual
of Style says:
"The colon may sometimes be used instead of a period to introduce a
series of related sentences." However, this wording suggests to me that
it's not the most common usage, so it can confuse non-native speakers
(like me).

Alternatively, we could fix the backpatch only. The patch based on
REL9_6_STABLE is attached if you decide to choose this path.

--
Liudmila Mantrova
Technical writer at Postgres Professional: http://www.postgrespro.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
syntax-fix-in-datatype-9-6.patch text/x-patch 507 bytes