Detecting query timeouts properly

From: Evan Martin <postgresql(at)realityexists(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Detecting query timeouts properly
Date: 2014-09-21 19:29:24
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

I'm using PostgreSQL 9.2.8 via Npgsql 2.2.0. When a query times out it
returns error 57014 with the message "canceling statement due to
statement timeout". I use the message to detect the timeout and re-try
in some cases. It seems a bit wrong to rely on the message, though - I
presume the message text is subject to change between releases. Is there
a better way? I cannot just rely on code 57014, because the same code is
used when the user cancels the query (eg. from pgAdmin), in which case I
don't want to re-try.

Regards,

Evan