Re: Why isn't Java support part of Postgresql core?

From: cowwoc <cowwoc(at)bbs(dot)darktech(dot)org>
To: Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why isn't Java support part of Postgresql core?
Date: 2014-09-18 06:39:39
Lists: pgsql-general

Chris,

On 18/09/2014 1:07 AM, Chris Travers wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 9:42 PM, cowwoc <cowwoc(at)bbs(dot)darktech(dot)org
> <mailto:cowwoc(at)bbs(dot)darktech(dot)org>> wrote:
>
> Tom,
>
> For starters, let's talk strictly about improving the deployment
> situation, which the core team *is* uniquely positioned to do.
>
> The pl/java author(s) should figure out what needs to be done but
> once that's known we need to do *something* in core so the
> deployment process is reduced to 1-2 steps max (CREATE EXTENSION
> pljava, and add Java to Postgresql's library path).
>

> But what the core team has done is provide a pretty stable interface
> for getting to that point. The extension interface is well documented
> and quite stable IME. If the pl/java project can't get it to a point
> where you can make && make install, then I don't see what would
> possibly benefit from getting into core.

Bare with me for a moment while I walk you through the Windows (for
dummies) experience I had in mind.

If you take a look at the Windows installation, it ships with
lib/hstore.dll which enables users to invoke "make extension hstore" (no
need to build anything). I'm talking about doing the same thing for
pljava. I suggest adding an optional feature in the Windows installer (I
believe it's called Application Stack Builder) for pljava. When enabled,
it would unpack lib/pljava.dll and a private JRE (so users don't have to
mess around with library paths). Users can then enable the extension
with a simple invocation of "CREATE EXTENSION pljava".

It doesn't get easier than this. And of course you'd do the equivalent
thing for *nix (investigate how it works for hstore and provide an
equivalent experience for pljava).

Gili