pg_upgrade hangs

From: John Scalia <jayknowsunix(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_upgrade hangs
Date: 2014-08-13 22:20:38
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi all,

My QA folks are doing an upgrade test, migrating a database from 9.2.2 to 9.3.3. By default on CentOS, the databases live at:

/var/lib/pgsql/9.2/data & /var/lib/pgsql/9.3/data

But, they've decided to move these to /data/postgres-9.2/data and /data/postgres-9.3/data and use symlinks back to the original locations, so they don't have to modify the
/etc/init.d scripts. Now, pg_upgrade is just hangs regardless of whether I use the actual physical locations or the symlinked ones. I haven't yet tried attaching "strace" to the
process, but is there any reason to believe that the symlinks might be causing the problem? Or do I need to look at something else?
--
Jay