Re: Reindex taking forever, and 99% CPU

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: Phoenix Kiula <phoenix(dot)kiula(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Reindex taking forever, and 99% CPU
Date: 2014-08-03 13:29:11
Lists: pgsql-general

On 08/02/2014 07:37 PM, Phoenix Kiula wrote:
>> In your original post you said it was stopping on pg_class so now I am
>> confused.
>

> No need to be confused. The vacuum thing is a bit tricky for laymen
> like myself. The "pg_class" seemed to be associated to this table.
> Anyway, even before the upgrade, the vacuum was stopping at this table
> and taking forever.
>
> The question is: what now. Where can I give you information from?
> IOSTAT I've already shared.
>
> Will the work_mem settings affect the manual REINDEX that's still
> running? What can I do to speed up the REINDEX? Should I change my
> autovacuum settings for this table specifcally (it's the only mammoth
> table in the DB, and our main one)?

Adding to my previous post, some information from the statistic
collector would be useful. See here for more information:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/monitoring-stats.html#MONITORING-STATS-VIEWS-TABLE

For now the output of:

SELECT * from pg_stat_user_tables where relname='your_table_name';

might prove helpful.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com