Re: pg_hba.conf editing question

From: Scott Furry <scott(dot)wl(dot)furry(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_hba.conf editing question
Date: 2014-07-21 14:54:20
Lists: pgadmin-support

On 20/07/14 03:40 PM, Scott Furry wrote:
> I'm just trying to understand how the pg_hba.conf file can be read in
> pgAdmin.
>
> I've tried variations to emulate the SQL commands used in pgAdmin to
> no avail. I'm using postgres db and postgres account to connect with
> the localhost via psql. Absolute path...Relative path...nothing seems
> to work. Yet, pgAdmin (in the HbaConfig.cpp file) can grab the
> absolute path of a config file ("SHOW hba_file") then call "SELECT
> pg_file_read()" and doesn't return an error.
>
> If there is no special setup, then how can this fail on the command
> line yet work in pgAdmin?
> What obvious thing am I missing here?
The obvious thing that I was missing was that Debian does really weird
things with its PostgreSQL packaging.
For some reason, the configuration files are stored in a folder below
/etc/postgresql, well outside the data directory.

I had seen a message like this in searching this problem, but it was
dated a couple of years ago. Sad the problem still exists.

I can confirm (at least on Arch and Win7) the functionality for server
configuration files works just fine, as-is and out-of-the-box. Its
debian that has the problem.

Sorry for the noise.
Scott