Re: BUG #10794: psql sometimes ignores .psqlrc

From: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #10794: psql sometimes ignores .psqlrc
Date: 2014-07-16 12:10:17
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 7/16/14 3:51 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> So I'm satisfied with the behavior of HEAD in this area. There's a case
> to be made for back-patching commit 9099e4afe into older branches, but
> I'm not sure if that'd be a good idea or not. People might be depending
> on the old behavior.

I can't envision how anyone could be depending on the old behaviour, but
then again, I'm not very imaginative.

> A different line of thought would be to reset cancel_pressed before
> starting the processing of any script file, so that you actually have to
> press control-C *during* the processing of a file to cancel it. That's
> just narrowing the race condition window some more, but it might be
> worth doing.

If you feel like backpatching is too much, I think we should at least
narrow the window down like this. There's still a chance for a major
duck-up, but you'd have to get very unlucky to pull that off.

.marko