Re: Request for project mailing list: pgsql-pkg-docker

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
Date: 2014-07-10 19:03:44
Lists: pgsql-www

On 07/10/2014 11:42 AM, Dave Page wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 7:38 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
> Whilst I agree that that particular question is not appropriate, "Is
> project X worthwhile or not" certainly is appropriate, in as much as
> worthwhile equates to "having demand from users". I don't care if
> individuals think a project is not worthwhile - I do care if no-one
> thinks it's worthwhile, or if a lot of people think it is.

Right, but it's not relevant whether or not people **on pgsql-www**
think it's worthwhile. It's only relevant how popular it is in the world.

For example, I think that Windows is a worthless OS which has outlived
its usefulness. That doesn't mean I'm going to champion discontinuing
the Windows installation packages or their related mailing list; Windows
is way too popular for that.

Docker is pretty clear-cut:
- Over 1 million downloads in the last year
- over 2000 downloads of the existing canonical Postgres image since
June 1, even though it's not really in a usable state

Other projects will be less clear-cut, simply because popularity data
isn't available.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.