Re: Question About Roles

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Question About Roles
Date: 2014-07-02 16:01:52
Lists: pgsql-general

On 07/02/2014 07:50 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jul 2014, David G Johnston wrote:
>
>> or if you want to do it as part of creating a new user:
>>
>> CREATE ROLE new_management_user
>> [other stuff here]
>> IN ROLE management;
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/interactive/sql-createrole.html
>
> David,
>
> I'll have to think deeply about what this is doing. Initially, I read it
> as assigning a new user's role to an existing group's role; that's the
> opposite of what I want.

If you want opposite then:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/interactive/sql-createrole.html

ROLE role_name

The ROLE clause lists one or more existing roles which are
automatically added as members of the new role. (This in effect makes
the new role a "group".)

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com