Re: bgwriter stats

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: bgwriter stats
Date: 2007-03-20 07:08:46
Lists: pgsql-patches

"Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> writes:
>> This seems quite a bizarre way to do things. Why wouldn't you implement
>> this functionality by shipping messages to the stats collector?

> Would you suggest doing the same with the checkpoint counter, that's already in shared mem? I want to expose that number as well..

The shared-mem checkpoint counters serve an entirely different purpose:
they're there to let backends detect when their requested checkpoint has
been completed. They're not intended to count checkpoints over any
long term (remember that sig_atomic_t need only be 8 bits wide).

If you want to track stats about how many checkpoints have been done,
I think that's a job for the stats collector.

regards, tom lane