Re: Downtime-free 'alter table set tablespace'

From: Chris Ernst <cernst(at)zvelo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Downtime-free 'alter table set tablespace'
Date: 2014-05-23 21:12:47
Lists: pgsql-general

On 05/23/2014 08:57 AM, Vincent de Phily wrote:
> I need to reduce downtime to a minimum, so I can't afford to let "alter table
> set tablespace" take an exclusive lock on the table for the 2h it'll take to
> copy the data.

You might look at pg_repack (https://github.com/reorg/pg_repack) The
most recent version added the ability to repack a table (or just
indexes) to a new tablespace. It won't be fast as it will essentially
rebuild the entire table. But it only needs an exclusive lock for a
brief moment, so there's virtually zero down time and no data loss.

- Chris