Re: Server crash... trying to figure it out

From: Wells Oliver <woliver(at)padres(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Server crash... trying to figure it out
Date: 2011-05-31 18:35:28
Lists: pgsql-admin

On May 31, 2011, at 11:31 AM, Kevin Grittner wrote:

You're probably overcommitting memory and running afoul of the oom
killer.

You've got an actual 12MB, but you can easily allocate up to
shared_buffers + (user_connections * work_mem), which is 18.5 GB. I
would start by reducing shared_buggers to 3GB or less, and cut
work_mem in half. Then I would get a connection pooler set up to
funnel 200 client-side connections through a pool of 10 or 20
database connections. Then I would try edging up work_mem while
monitoring performance and memory usage.

-Kevin

Thanks for the response- great food for thought. Do you have any recommendations on a pg connection pooler?

--
Wells Oliver
Architect, Baseball Systems