Best practice when reindexing in production

From: Niels Kristian Schjødt <nielskristian(at)autouncle(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org list" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Best practice when reindexing in production
Date: 2013-05-29 12:24:14
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi,

I have a database with quite some data (millions of rows), that is heavily updated all the time. Once a day I would like to reindex my database (and maybe re cluster it - don't know if that's worth it yet?). I need the database to be usable while doing this (both read and write). I see that there is no way to REINDEX CONCURRENTLY - So what approach would you suggest that I take on this?

Regards Niels Kristian