Re: typedefs.list glitches

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: typedefs.list glitches
Date: 2022-05-12 21:21:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> every buildfarm member that's contributing to the typedefs list
> builds with OpenSSL. That wouldn't surprise me, except that
> my own animal sifaka should be filling that gap. Looking at
> its latest attempt[1], it seems to be generating an empty list,
> which I guess means that our recipe for extracting typedefs
> doesn't work on macOS/arm64. I shall investigate.

Found it. Current macOS produces

$ objdump -W
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/objdump: error: unknown argument '-W'

where last year's vintage produced

$ objdump -W
objdump: Unknown command line argument '-W'. Try: '/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/objdump --help'
objdump: Did you mean '-C'?

This confuses run_build.pl into taking the "Linux and sometimes windows"
code path instead of the $using_osx one. I think simplest fix is to
move the $using_osx branch ahead of the heuristic ones, as attached.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
typedefs.patch text/x-diff 1.8 KB