Re: COPY v. java performance comparison

From: Rob Sargent <robjsargent(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: COPY v. java performance comparison
Date: 2014-04-02 21:04:31
Lists: pgsql-general

On 04/02/2014 02:36 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:

>>> That seems rather painfully slow. How exactly are you doing the bulk
>>> load? Are you CPU limited or disk limited?
>>>
>>> Have you
>>> readhttp://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/populate.html ?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Steve
>>>
>> The copy command was pretty vanilla:
>>
>> copy oldstyle from '/export/home/rob/share/testload/<file-redacted>'
>> with delimiter ' ';
>
>> I've been to that page, but (as I read them) none sticks out as a sure
>> thing. I'm not so worried about the actual performance as I am with the
>> relative throughput (sixes so far).
>
> Have you looked at the Postgres logs from that time period to see if
> there is anything of interest, say complaining about checkpoints.
>

>> I'm not cpu bound, but I confess I didn't look at io stats during the
>> copy runs. I just assume it was pegged :)
>>
>> Thanks,

Well indeed there are copious LOG/HINT pairs along the lines of

LOG: checkpoints are occurring too frequently ([8 <= n <=29]
seconds apart)
HINT: Consider increasing the configuration parameter
"checkpoint_segments".

and these are during non-load periods. During the COPYs I see
uncountable numbers of

WARNING: pgstat wait timeout

As you guys have probably already concluded, I have some config/tuning
to do.

Cheers,
rjs