Re: pgsql: Revert "Secure Unix-domain sockets of "make check" temporary clu

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Revert "Secure Unix-domain sockets of "make check" temporary clu
Date: 2014-03-29 15:28:48
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On 03/29/2014 09:32 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> writes:
>> Revert "Secure Unix-domain sockets of "make check" temporary clusters."
>> About half of the buildfarm members use too-long directory names,
>> strongly suggesting that this approach is a dead end.
> I'm confused. I do not see a single buildfarm failure that appears
> attributable to that patch.

I too am confused.

The TestUpgrade buildfarm module contains this code (as of release 4.10,
14 months ago)

die
"overly long build root $buildroot will cause upgrade problems - try
something shorter than 46 chars"
if (length($buildroot) > 46);

Not all animals run this module, although it's recommended, but those
who do should be safe.

cheers

andrew