Re: Replication Lag

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: "Chatha, Karan (CMG-Atlanta)" <Karan(dot)Chatha(at)coxinc(dot)com>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Replication Lag
Date: 2014-03-22 00:44:08
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 03/21/2014 12:43 PM, Chatha, Karan (CMG-Atlanta) wrote:

> 1)It was working until March 8

And then what changed? *Anything* that might have happened. Config
change, unclean reboot, out of disk, firewall updates, network changes,
anything at all...

> 2)We upgraded Postgres from 9.03 to 9.015 on Feb 19

There are a few items that require special handling between 9.03 and
9.0.15. Did you read all the release notes and make sure that the extra
steps were completed or didn't apply to you? (I'm not sure that any
directly impact replication but haven't been running anything earlier
than 9.1 for quite a while.)

> 3)Streaming Replication
>
> 4)Right now we have master on 9.015 and 7 slaves on 9.015 and one
> slave on 9.0.16
>
> 5)We have full logging enable to syslog

What do the logs tell you? Have you thoroughly examined them both for
current messages and anything unusual around the time that the issue
appeared?

> 6)What we see is that there are no loads or io but archives get stuck
> on one archive. We have
>
> 7)max_standby_archive_delay = 60000 # max delay before
> canceling queries
>
> max_standby_streaming_delay = 60000
>
> It is almost like these values are not being honored.

Cheers,
Steve