Re: 9.3 debian install setup failure

From: Rodrigo Gonzalez <rjgonzale(dot)lists(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "john(dot)tiger" <john(dot)tigernassau(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 9.3 debian install setup failure
Date: 2014-03-22 00:04:10
Lists: pgsql-general

On 03/21/2014 08:47 PM, john.tiger wrote:
> 9.3 install on debian jessie 64amd
>
> sudo -u postgres psql => worked
> alter user postgres with password 'password' => alter role
>
> su - postgress
> enter password => authentication failure

postgress or postgres?
The name is different, but in case you made a typo here, with alter user
you changed postgresql password for user postgres not for OS user postgres

> hba.conf edited to allow "trust" to local - shouldn't this be set up as
> standard default ?

Other people can give you different replies...for me...NO, security is
first and trust is completely skipping security from my point of view

> still authentication failure (after rebooting)
>
> now sudo -u postgres psql => could not connect - is server running -
> shouldn't install set up server to be booted on start up ?

Is it running? I dont use debian, but something like service postgresql
status can give you an idea...
or, more general
ps aux | grep postgres

Best regards