Re: UTF-8 collation on Windows?

From: Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: Dev Kumkar <devdas(dot)kumkar(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: UTF-8 collation on Windows?
Date: 2014-02-20 18:44:53
Lists: pgsql-general

On 21/02/14 02:04, Dev Kumkar wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 3:04 AM, Gavin Flower
> <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz <mailto:GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>>
> wrote:
>
> Upgrade servers to Linux? :-P
>

> Actually that's not the solution but running away from it.
> There is a heavy footprint of customers and huge market on windows too
> and so not that easy to migrate and convince in market.
>
> Regards...

I am aware of the heavy presence of Microsoft in the market place and
the huge inertia of Microsoft dominated companies (even where management
would like to change), hence I was not trying to push upgrading to Linux
too strongly for this particular situation - more light hearted
exasperation!

None-the-less there are more and more companies making that move - as
there are a whole raft of very good reasons to do so.

If the sole reason for going to Linux was the collation problem, then it
would probably be considered by most people to be a silly reason.

Cheers,
Gavin

P.S. Once a Senior Systems Analyst left the company I was working for
to become the DP manager of an IT department. I spoke to him shortly
after and he said it was an 'IBM shop' - about ten years later he was at
the same place, but he now said it was a 'Microsoft shop'. The dominant
technology that appears set in stone, does eventually change despite the
market inertia -- my first commercial languages were FORTRAN & COBOL on
minicomputers & IBM style mainframes, now I use Java on Linux.