Drop all overloads of a function without knowing parameter types

From: Evan Martin <postgresql(at)realityexists(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Drop all overloads of a function without knowing parameter types
Date: 2014-02-03 17:55:49
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi All,

Is there any easy way to drop a function (all overloads of it) without
knowing the parameter types? If not, it would be good to see it added.

When I change a function definition I just want to run the SQL script
that defines it and have any existing function replaced. CREATE OR
REPLACE FUNCTION does this - except if the parameter types, or even
names, have changed. If this SO thread is correct, it's quite tricky to
drop existing functions without knowing the parameter types:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7622908/drop-function-without-knowing-the-number-type-of-parameters

I'd like to see a much easier way. Either something like "DROP FUNCTION
name ALL" or a system function that does the same thing or at least a
built-in, "supported" way to get the signature of all the overloads, so
they can be dropped one by one.

Regards,

Evan