Re: The uselessness of pgbouncer PAUSE

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Sergey Konoplev <gray(dot)ru(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: SF Postgres <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: The uselessness of pgbouncer PAUSE
Date: 2014-01-16 21:55:07
Lists: sfpug

On 01/16/2014 01:29 PM, Sergey Konoplev wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 4:08 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
>> I looked into this today, and it doesn't help at all. PAUSE will wait
>> for all current queries to complete before switching over, which isn't
>> tolerable in a failover situation. Unfortunately, there seems to be no
>> command which says "kill running query connections but leave idle
>> connections alone". Possible this is the idea behind SUSPEND, but if
>> so, it doesn't work.
>
> Even more, it does not make any sense in a failover situation, when
> the master is down or unavailable. I was talking about a manual
> switchover case when one can control what is going on on master.

That's far more complicated than just restarting pgbouncer, and doesn't
solve the problem I was trying to solve. Maybe I'll add something
later, but right now it's too limited to do anything with.

It would be nice to use PAUSE for reloading the configuration after, for
example, adding a new replica to the pool. However, that would take a
lot of experimentation to see if it even works.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.