Add PK constraint to a Unique Index via updating system catalogs?

From: CS DBA <cs_dba(at)consistentstate(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: cs_dba(at)consistentstate(dot)com
Subject: Add PK constraint to a Unique Index via updating system catalogs?
Date: 2014-01-06 22:30:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi All;

We have a few very large tables with unique indexes on a column but the
column is not defined as the Primary Key. Can we add a PK constraint
via updates to the system catalogs so we can avoid the lengthy checks
that would take place if we ran "alter table add constraint primary key...."

Thanks in advance