Re: [pgadmin-support] Lost database

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: Dinesh Kumar <dinesh(dot)kumar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Steve Erickson <serickson(at)digitiliti(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgAdmin Support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-support] Lost database
Date: 2013-12-10 06:29:35
Lists: pgadmin-support pgsql-general

On 12/9/2013 10:17 PM, Dinesh Kumar wrote:

> If we’re unsuccessful, we do have a filesystem backup from several
> months ago that we can apply and then go through the tedium of trying
> to fill in the missing blanks for those months. Since there are so
> many rows, is there a tool or procedure we can use to verify the
> integrity of the data once Postgres is back up and running?

if the postgresql server was running when that file backup was made(*),
its pretty much worthless, it will have data corruption and errors
throughout.

(*) unless pg_start_backup() was called before the backup, and
pg_stop_backup() afterwards, which I sort of doubt would have been done
based on what was written.

--
john r pierce 37N 122W