Re: PG replication across DataCenters

From: Thomas Harold <thomas-lists(at)nybeta(dot)com>
To: Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG replication across DataCenters
Date: 2013-12-09 16:09:21
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-general

On 11/22/2013 5:57 AM, Albe Laurenz wrote:
> Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
>> I have read on the web that Postgresql DB supports replication
>> across data centers. Any real life usecase examples if it has been
>> implemented by anyone.
>
> Well, we replicate a 1 TB database between two locations. It is a
> fairly active OLTP application, but certainly not pushing the limits
> of what PostgreSQL can do in transactions per second.

Something that section 25 in the pgsql documentation is not clear about
for hot-standby with WAL log shipping using the built-in streaming:

Can you choose which databases / tables on the master server get
streamed to the hot-standby read-only server at the remote site? If
not, I suspect we'll have to go with either Slony or Bucardo.