Re: Cold backup with rsync -- WAL files?

From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)pgexperts(dot)com>
To: Denish Patel <denish(at)omniti(dot)com>
Cc: Craig James <cjames(at)emolecules(dot)com>, Payal Singh <payal(at)omniti(dot)com>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cold backup with rsync -- WAL files?
Date: 2013-12-06 21:56:09
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 12/06/13 13:40, Denish Patel wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> If you remove pg_xlogs, I do not expect Postgres to come back!
>
> I think Craig is referring to WAL files , not pg_xlogs. He is still going to
> take backup of pg_xlogs under $PGDATA when Postgres is still down.
>
> I think there is some misunderstanding here!

I think the misunderstanding might be that you mean *archived* WAL files, and
I mean WAL files in the PGDATA directory.
I think the latter is what the OP means, but I'm not certain.

So, no, you do not need archiving enabled to take a cold backup, but you do
need all the WAL files from the pg_xlog directory per mine and Kevin's quick test.