Re: Seattle PostgreSQL Day

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Albin, Lloyd P" <lalbin(at)scharp(dot)org>, Basil Bourque <basil(dot)bourque(dot)lists(at)pobox(dot)com>, "seapug(at)postgresql(dot)org" <seapug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Seattle PostgreSQL Day
Date: 2013-11-15 15:42:47
Lists: seapug

On 11/14/2013 11:31 PM, Albin, Lloyd P wrote:

> Josh,
>
> It was decided by SeaPUG members at last month’s meeting that we, SeaPUG, would let PgUS handle PGDay in Seattle while SeaPUG will do LinuxFest Northwest.
> SeaPUG members are perfectly happy doing presentations at both
LinuxFest Northwest & PGDay in Seattle even if, as you said, PgUS
members won’t do
> presentations at both. SeaPUG is not concerned about raising money at
LinuxFest Northwest at this time since we can’t legally connect money
and I pay for
> anything SeaPug needs personally. While PgUS has allowed us to become
part of it for fund raising and being to obtain funds from it, it has
never provided
> any bank account information, welcoming packet, etc. So at this point
SeaPUG is still operating as its own entity separate from PgUS.

Lloyd,

I think there is a bit of confusion so let me be succinct:

1. You can legally accept money under PgUS... using the SeaPUG name.

2. SeaPUG has it's own account.

3. You were provided a direct contact in September to PgUS's board
(Michael Brewer: mbrewer(at)gmail(dot)com and Mark Wong: markwkm(at)gmail(dot)com) to
ask any questions about your affiliation and how it works.

4. I never said that PgUS members (who are just PostgreSQL community
members and I note, SeaPUG members) wouldn't speak at both. I raised it
as a concern to be discussed due to the proximity of the two dates.

For example, I will be in NYC at the beginning of April, so being in
Bellingham at the end might be difficult.

I am sorry that you feel you have been left in the dark in some way but
you were given multiple opportunities to ask questions as well as direct
contacts to insure that the relationship SeaPug has with PgUS is a
successful one.

I started being vocal on the list about these opportunities because I
think that the Seattle Community (which you and I have talked about many
times) has an opportunity to be one of the more influential communities
among the PostgreSQL User Group space.

It is absolutely SeaPUG's prerogative to operate a PgDay anywhere it
likes. However as I was the instigator of that process it would have
been nice if someone dialed me in, or asked me to come up if there was
going to be an in person discussion about it.

Sincerely,

Joshua d. Drake

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/ 509-416-6579