Re: Changing pg_dump default file format

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Changing pg_dump default file format
Date: 2013-11-07 16:53:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11/07/2013 08:21 AM, Kevin Grittner wrote:

>> I humbly request on behalf of those who manage production postgresql
>> instances that we change the default backup file format from -Fp to -Fc.
>
> -1 in the case that output goes to stdout. It might make sense for
> when -f is specified. As a DBA, 90% of my usage of pg_dump was
> piped to psql, with the rest split between data-only dumps for
> individual tables and schema-only dumps. I think I used -Fc about
> twice -- before I figured out how to do PITR-style backups.

PITR is wonderful, I use it all the time. It has exactly zero to do with
what we are talking about. We are talking about pg_dump and its
usefulness. Are you suggesting that we tell people to not use pg_dump
and instead use PITR?

> This, for example, is a valid and useful construct:
>
> pg_dump test | psql test2
>
> ... or:
>
> pg_dump -s test | psql test3

pg_dump -s test -fp| psql test3

> A lot of scripts will be broken by changing the default format for
> piped output.

For the sake of sanity... really? You just proved my point. This isn't
about developers. Developers now how to code. They can change a simple
script. This is about production DBA/admins, the 98% of people using
postgresql.

Joshua D. Drake

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/ 509-416-6579