Re: Connection pooling

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Connection pooling
Date: 2013-10-31 20:24:18
Lists: pgsql-general

On 10/31/2013 1:09 PM, andy wrote:
> I'm not sure if geoserver is like openLayers/mapserver, but in the
> later case (which I use), you can set it up to have the browser
> (running openLayers) request multiple layers at the same time... and
> on top of that each layer can be requested in tiles. (That way when
> you drag the map it only has to load new tiles, and not the entire
> image, which makes the animations smooth)
>
> Anyway, one webclient * 5 layers * tiles = lot and lots and lots of
> web requests (which, would make lots of db hits).

sure, but those hits shouldn't each be using a new connection, no more
than 2-4 of them should be processed concurrently following http 1.1
guidelines, so no more than 2-4 connections should be required.

the behavior the OP descibed sounded like the tomcat applets aren't
closing their connections, thats broken behavior.

--
john r pierce 37N 122W