Re: Fixing warnings in back branches?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fixing warnings in back branches?
Date: 2015-12-15 14:09:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I think that's an ok one-off policy. But looking back it was pretty much
> always the case that the release -3 or so started to look pretty
> horrible, warning wise.

I think that's a condition of life. The compilers are moving targets,
no matter that they allegedly implement standards. We endeavor to keep
HEAD able to compile warning-free on recent compilers, but I don't think
we can make such a promise for back branches. This thread offers a great
example of why not: the changes required would sometimes be too invasive
to be justifiable.

In the end, if you're building an old branch, you should be doing it with
old tools.