Re: PostgreSQL Replication

From: Thomas Guyot <tguyot(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Mutuku Ndeti <jnmutuku(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Replication
Date: 2021-02-17 08:22:44
Lists: pgsql-general

On 2021-02-16 09:28, Raul Giucich wrote:
> This article will help you
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Multimaster
> <https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Multimaster>.
>
> El mar., 16 feb. 2021 10:56, Mutuku Ndeti <jnmutuku(at)gmail(dot)com
> <mailto:jnmutuku(at)gmail(dot)com>> escribió:
>
> Hi,
>
> Need some advice here. I have an application using PostgreSQL. I
> need to install it on 2 servers for redundancy purposes and have 2
> databases. I need the DBs to replicate to each other, in real-time.
> Writes can be done on both DBs.
>
> Please let me know if this is a feasible setup and the best way to
> proceed.

Hi,

While I have no experience with replication on pgsql, in general
multi-master database replication is much more complex and often require
a pretty rigid setup. The graphs on that page seems to tell the same
story for pgsql.

Are you sure you really need multi-master replication as opposed to
having a single active master in a replicated set? If properly
configured, cluster software can automatically fail over the active
master, which provides very good redundancy and is much simpler from a
technological standpoint.

Regards,

--
Thomas