Re: PostgreSQL Timeline

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Timeline
Date: 2013-10-11 17:33:01
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

> About Postgres Forest, I never heard of this project before and I
> struglled to find information about it.

Mostly because it's dead now, and was always Japanese. It was a
predecessor to things like ExtenDB and Continuent.

However, I put it on my list of forks because I was under the impression
that PostgresForest actually involved forking the backend code of
PostgreSQL. Tatsuo is saying that it didn't, and he would know better
than me.

On that basis, I personally wouldn't include Forest or pgPool in the
list of forks, because they are tools which go on top of mainstream
PostgreSQL, and if we start listing tools there's no finishing it.

I'm unclear on what the difference between "Business Intelligence" and
"Big Data" forks is.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.