Re: BUG #18117: View definitions were changed in version 16 (missing column qualifiers)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: ariel(at)mashraki(dot)co(dot)il
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #18117: View definitions were changed in version 16 (missing column qualifiers)
Date: 2023-09-20 14:20:12
Lists: pgsql-bugs

PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> I'm not sure if this change was intentional since it wasn't mentioned in the
> release notes, or at least, I couldn't find it there. Running the three
> statements below in version 16 produces ~different results from those in all
> versions before 16. I checked this against versions 11, 12, ... 15

> Statements:
> create table t(c int);
> create view v(c) as select c from t;
> select view_definition from information_schema.views where table_name='v';

Yeah, that was intentional, cf

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git&a=commitdiff&h=47bb9db75

I don't see any corresponding entry in the v16 release notes,
but it doesn't surprise me that Bruce would have deemed this
an internal change not worth documenting. Minor cosmetic
changes in the output of view deparsing are very common.