Re: System load consideration before spawning parallel workers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: System load consideration before spawning parallel workers
Date: 2016-09-01 20:18:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz> writes:
> On 02/09/16 04:44, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> You can try this out by building PostgreSQL this way. Please save your
>> work first, because you might have to hard-reboot your system.

> Hmm... I've built several versions of pg this way, without any obvious
> problems!

I'm a little skeptical of that too. However, I'd note that with a "make"
you're not likely to care, or possibly even notice, if the thing does
something like go completely to sleep for a little while, or if some
sub-jobs proceed well while others do not. The fact that "-l 8" works
okay for make doesn't necessarily translate to more-interactive use cases.