Re: Varchar vs foreign key vs enumerator - table and index size

From: Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Łukasz Walkowski <lukasz(dot)walkowski(at)homplex(dot)pl>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Varchar vs foreign key vs enumerator - table and index size
Date: 2013-09-12 15:07:55
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 8/31/13 8:35 AM, Łukasz Walkowski wrote:
> 3. And this part is most interesting for me. Columns browser, eventsource, eventtype, devicetype, operatingsystem contain a small pool of strings - for example for devicetype this is set to Computer, Mobile, Tablet or Unknown. Browser is set to normalized browser name. In every case I can store those data using one of 3 different methods:

Sorry for the late reply... the Enova Tools project in pgFoundry has code that lets you create a "dynamic lookup table" that allows for easily normalizing slow-changing data. You could then put a writable view on top of that so that the app wouldn't know the difference. It also has a backfill framework that would help you move data from the old table to the new table.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect jim(at)nasby(dot)net
512.569.9461 (cell) http://jim.nasby.net