Risk of set system wise statement_timeout

From: Alex Lai <mlai(at)sesda3(dot)com>
To: postgres general support <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Risk of set system wise statement_timeout
Date: 2013-09-11 20:02:43
Lists: pgsql-general

I have been reading few posted comment about the risk for autovacuum for
older postgres liek version 8.
I am currently running 9.2.4. We have a need to terminate any query
running longer than 2 hours. Most of our query should finish within 15
minutes. We don't have very large amount of changes in the system and
we run autovacuum daily. Running the larger table for autovacuum should
be fast. Under my situation, setting statement_timeout = 7200000 which
is 2 hours seems very low risk trigger fail to autovacuum. Any one have
any idea not to do it or any workaround to decrease the risk of fail
autovacuum.

--
Best regards,

Alex Lai