Re: PostgreSQL hours

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL hours
Date: 2013-09-11 00:16:41
Lists: sfpug

Sergey,

> I think doing it at SOMA at lunch time will restrict the audience with
> 15 minutes around radius. The thought is that if it would be arranged
> at 6-7PM (may be even earlier) it might serve as a good reasoning for
> people to left offices earlier and spend their last work hours at the
> meetup solving their work issues with additional help of community. I
> think it might attract audience better.

Hmmm. You could be right. What about scheduling one brown bag, and one
evening session, per month for a couple months? We could see which one
is more attractive to people.

> I thought about it in a slightly different way. Free form - no
> presentations, no demos, just problems and solutions, plus networking.

Ah, ok. I misunderstood you. As a warning, historically SFPUG events
where there was not a structured presentation had fairly low attendance
(like, 4 people). So you'll need to see if this kind of freeform thing
appeals to anyone.

> May be to collect visitors issues preliminary on a web site, rate them
> by complexity level and delegate to consultants according to their
> level. Because, for example, I can show how to smoothly do switch over
> with pgbouncer, but can not do something like planner related source
> code mining yet. May be even to collect a certain minimum amount of
> issues and arrange these meetups like on demand. So it could be more
> optimal and more flexible this way, and might be arranged in such
> places a public libraries or Starbucks.

Hmmm, I'm not sure I quite follow what you're planning to happen at
these meetings.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.