dynamic type create (was return setof record from function with dynamic query)

From: Toby Tremayne <tobyt(at)toll(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: dynamic type create (was return setof record from function with dynamic query)
Date: 2002-12-20 01:52:34
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Masaru,

thanks for that - using Grant's instructions I created a new type
and set it up that way - works beautifully.

New question - is there any way to dynamically create a type? IE
build a list of column names for a new type from the results of a
select?

Toby

Thursday, December 19, 2002, 2:32:29 AM, you wrote:

MS> On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 17:18:56 +1100
MS> Toby Tremayne <tobyt(at)toll(dot)com(dot)au> wrote:

>> ERROR: A column definition list is required for functions returning RECORD
>>
>> I'd really appreciate it if someone could show me how to pass back
>> a set of records please???
>>
>> Toby
>>
>> CREATE FUNCTION poptions (INTEGER)
>> RETURNS setof record AS '
>> DECLARE
>> -- parameters
>> p_author_id ALIAS FOR $1;
>>
>> -- local variables
>> row_data poem_option_def%ROWTYPE;
>> newrows record;

MS> Possibly, Grant's advice will help you. Maybe around the description
MS> of CREATE TYPE.

MS> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-09/msg01741.php

MS> Regards,
MS> Masaru Sugawara

---------------------------------------

Life is poetry -
write it in your own words.

---------------------------------------

Toby Tremayne
Technical Team Lead
Code Poet and Zen Master of the Heavy Sleep
Toll Solutions
154 Moray St
Sth Melbourne
VIC 3205