Re: CoC [Final v2]

From: Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
To: "Psql_General (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CoC [Final v2]
Date: 2016-01-25 02:19:17
Lists: pgsql-general

On Jan 24, 2016, at 6:09 PM, John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com> wrote:
> so what would be a better way of developing this ?

This needs to come from -core, and then commented on as a complete policy, not just CoC with maybe enforcement provisions later. Not because we're a dictatorship, but if they are going to be the ones responsible for handling complaints, they need to be 100% bought into it. A CoC with no enforcement mechanism is pointless. If there's no mandate from -core to have a CoC, this is just pantomime.

Let's say I arrive a -general with a proposal that PG 9.7 should speak the MongoDB wire protocol in addition to v3, complete with some working code. The comments on -general come down to:

1. A large number of people saying I am insane.
2. A smaller number of people saying, "Yes, but which version?"
3. A large number of people saying, "No, it should speak MySQL's protocol instead."

I can't claim that, on the basis of #2, there's "consensus" that the feature is a good idea and should be refined and committed, but that's precisely what I see happening here.

In any event, the tone of this particular discussion has gotten so out of control (basically, people are being told to shut up left and right), that I don't see a consensus is possible right now.

--
-- Christophe Pettus
xof(at)thebuild(dot)com