Re: Unwanted debug messages

From: Joe Abbate <jma(at)freedomcircle(dot)com>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: psycopg(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unwanted debug messages
Date: 2013-08-06 13:55:05
Lists: psycopg

Hello Adrian,

On 06/08/13 09:34, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 08/06/2013 06:25 AM, Joe Abbate wrote:
>> I think you should check log_destination in postgresql.conf.
>
> That would change the destination of the messages coming from
> log_min_messages and still would require that the OP had privileges on
> the server. As far as I know it up to the client to deal with
> client_min_messages and I do not think psycopg2 has a way of throttling
> that.

You're right. However, if I'm not mistaken, if a PG admin has (for some
weird reason) set log_min_messages to some obnoxious setting, I think
it's still possible for a user to do a SET log_min_messages='warning' to
suppress them (and this should be doable from psycopg--if desired).

Furthermore, Wences' set-up seems unusual: from psql, if I set
log_min_messages='debug3' the messages don't go to my process' stderr
(which is supposedly the default), and psql prevents me from changing
log_destination. It appears like he started postgres from the command
line and the server is sending the output to the parent process.

Joe