COPY to STDOUT and pipes

From: kevin kempter <kevin(at)kevinkempterllc(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: COPY to STDOUT and pipes
Date: 2008-04-15 04:55:23
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi List;

I want to run a copy (based on a select) to STDOUT and pipe it to a
psql copy from STDIN on a different host.

here's what I have:

1) a .sql file that looks like this:

copy (
select
cust_id,
cust_name,
last_update_dt
from sl_cust
)
to STDOUT
with delimiter '|'

This works.

However I want to pipe the resulting data into a psql statement that
does a copy IN to a table on another host. I can't seem to get it
right. I tried this:

psql -f file1.sql | psql -h newhost -f file2.sql

where file1.sql is the copy statement above and file2.sql does a copy
table from STDIN with delimiter '|'

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance...

/Kevin